Friday, January 4, 2008

Quick! Fix It! Stove Top Casserole

I love quick fix dinners. I depend on them. I especially love casseroles that incorporate all of the basic food groups. I got this recipe out of a magazine and tried it because it was so easy and I had all the fixins right in my pantry. You can fix this up before you go somewhere and pop it in the oven for 40-45 min and voila dinner in a dish and very kid friendly (all except my youngest who can't have milk and eggs. I will share some vegan recipes next week. So stay tuned my vegetarian and allergy ridden friends.). So try it and tell me if you like it!

1 pkg. (6 oz.) STOVETOP Stuffing Mix - The recipe calls for the chicken type but I prefer turkey.
1-1/2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces. I use Foster Farms frozen breasts. I use two and it seems to be plenty.
1 can (10- 3/4 oz.) condensed cream of chicken soup
1/3 cup of sour cream
1 bag (16 oz) frozen mixed vegetables, thawed, drained. Now here you can experiment a little. The first time I made it all I had were frozen peas and carrots and it was great. The second time, I tried the mix with corn, peas and carrots. My oldest had recently let us know of her huge dislike of green beans so I avoided the mix with those in them. But try it, whatever you like best. I didn't really care for the one with corn myself.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prepare stuffing mix as directed on package; set aside.
Mix chicken, soup, sour cream and vegetables in a 13x9 inch baking dish; top with stuffing.
The recipe says to bake uncovered for 30 minutes or until chicken is done. I am paranoid when it comes to meat not being done, so I cooked it for 40-45 minutes and it was perfect. I have a new oven and for some reason it doesn't ever seem to be hot enough for whatever I cook. So experiment. Its good, its easy and its quick. Hope you like it!

No comments: